After living in Nicaragua for so long there were some things about living in Canada that I had forgotten about but was able to take complete advantage of them over the past two months.
1. Mailboxes: As a kid I loved to be the first one to the mailbox by the road when the little red flag was up. I loved looking through the letters to see if there was any 'real' mail and not just bills. This summer I would often visit my sister in the afternoon and loved to see her red flag up when I biked into her driveway. After a while I got the title of the mail lady.
2. Peaches: When I bit into my first peach in August it tasted juicey and sweet as I expected, but it felt exciting which I didn't expect. Later I realized that I hadn't eaten a fresh peach in seven years. I might have made up for it by now.
3. GPS: I think I would still be lost if I didn't have the GPS along. I was able to drive into Toronto and Niagara Falls with little difficulty by just following the directions. I have a love/hate relationship with it though. There is a part of me that just doesn't want to always obey it. One day I decided that I was going to trust the directions and found myself downtown Guelph, facing a road closed sign creating a dead end, uphill, and pulling a tent trailer!! Grr...
4. Hot baths: Even though it was summer I took many a hot bath while engaged in a good book.
5. Pay at the pumps: Since in Nicaragua you have full service at the pump, I had to learn the trick of pumping gas in Canada. Here there is even an option to pay for your gas purchase right at the pump. You don't even see another person! Wow talk about trust.
6. Newspaper: Every morning the newspaper came to my parents house. At times I would buy a paper in Nicaragua but of course it was always in Spanish and not super easy to read. It was quite enjoyable to sit and read through the news in English everyday.
7. Public Transportation: Twice in Toronto I road the public transportation. It was quite roomy and also air conditioned! A far stretch from my bus riding adventures in Nicaragua.
Celebrating mom's birthday in Toronto

No comments:
Post a Comment