Although at first it seems strange to celebrate Christmas without the weather turning cold, I have begun to appreciate some of the activities we do here to celebrate. This year I have felt so blessed with many opportunities to share and experience God's love in multiple ways. I won't actually be here for Christmas Day, but December has already been filled with lots of activities in and outside of school. 
Our students presented a Christmas program to the parents one evening. We had everything from a bell choir to puppets to a donkey on wheels. The chapel area was so packed that people were standing out on the sidewalk. Good thing the chapel doesn't have walls, this allowed for us to expand beyond the roof covering.
Like I said Christmas and sunny days. Students make various crafts at this time of year to take home as gifts for their parents. Here some fourth graders are showing off some kites they made in Spanish class. Also to end the year before Christmas holidays the elementary classes participated in Christmas Around the World. They traveled to different countries (classrooms) to find out how that country celebrates Christmas.
This was another Christmas celebration with the children at the Nutrition Center. We spent some time one Saturday morning singing Christmas carols, sharing the Christmas story, drawing Christmas pictures, and decorating and eating Christmas cookies. A small gesture that brought out big smiles.
Then there was the annual cookie making extravaganza. We started baking cookies at about 1:00 and finished by 5:00. We battled ants and humidity to accomplish this display. By about 6:00 we departed with plates of Christmas cookies in hand and presented them to missionary families as we caroled at each ones' house.
Now I just have one more day in Nicaragua before heading back north to what I hear will be a snow covered Christmas. Blessings to all!
1 comment:
Hey Aimee...I enjoy reading your updates about Nicaragua! I'm just wondering if you got my email about the pen pal letters being at Kim Boersema's aunt's house. Are you able to pick those up? They are in Burlington. I have their email address. Or you can email me at mpenninga@meisoc.com. Merry Christmas! -Melanie Penninga
Post a Comment