In the past couple of weeks, I have been blessed abundantly with visits to various homes of Nicaraguan friends. In each case, the family seemed very worried about making food that the 'gringas' would like. They were soon able to relax once they saw that we were content. They also wanted to present their best and so table cloths came out and their best clothing. In some cases I think the family bought new silverware for the occassion.
This is at Carmen's (she works at Nicaragua Christian Academy)house. She lives 1 hour out of the city and leaves her house at 3:50 to get to NCA by 6:30. She has done this for the past 5 years. Not only that, but she has 8 children to care for as well. She is one of the most humble people I have ever met. Her home is very small, but her children are healthy and happy.

Here Joy (my roommate) and Andrea (my student teacher) and I were at the home of Ana and Hector, both of whom work at Nicaragua Christian Academy. They treated us like princesses and we had a wonderful visit with their family. Their Spanish is very hard to understand but between Joy and I we were able to make it at least seem like we understood.

On Saturday I went to the home of Martha and Luis. Martha also works at Nicaragua Christian Academy. They too have a humble home but prepared an excellent Nicaraguan meal. Martha has a true heart for God. Inspite of the difficulties she has had in life, she has clearly seen God provide for her and her family through it all.

It's always fun to see the familiar face of someone from Canada; especially when you didn't expect them. I was in a Spanish service one Sunday and Rev. Postuma, former pastor of York CRC in Ontario, sat down beside me. Later that week we shared coffee together with the other pastors he came down with.

This visitor was a real surprise as well. I spotted her face at the Thanksgiving Program at my school. I recognized the face as someone I knew in my past. It was Mrs. Bok a former teacher from my highschool (Hamilton District Christian Highschool).
1 comment:
I thought you didn't drink coffee. But I must say that sharing a cup of coffee is one of the small things in life that I try not to take for granted. Your mom can relate.
Post a Comment