It's Semana Santa (Holy Week) in Nicaragua. Lots of things happen in this week here in Nicaragua. The country is pretty much taking the week off of work. It is a week long national holiday to remember the death of Christ. The catholic church has many different traditions, rituals, and parades. Because most people have off work, the beach is a very popular destination for many people. Unfortunately in this week Nicaragua has a high rate of deaths as well because of alchohol consumtion. Swimming and drinking just aren't a good mixture.
People come to the beach for different reasons. For the really poor in Nicaragua this is prime time for them to sell things on the beach because many of the stores are closed. This boy is probably looking for recycling items which he can later sell for money.
Even the ice cream men come out and wrestle their ice cream coolers throught the sand. A great treat for a hot, sunny day though.
This family enjoyed a day at the beach. Their pails could have contained food they sold or food they took to the beach to eat over the course of the day. Notice how the girl is carrying the pail on her shoulder; a very common way for people to carry things in Nicaragua.
Ah the famous Jigantone (I'm not for sure on the spelling). This is an enormous doll as you can see. These small boys are walking around the beach looking for someone who will pay them to put on their show. The big woman doll has a little boy inside. Another one of the boys has a drum and the one on the right is a shorter dwarf-like character. As the music plays the doll and other character dance; very entertaining I know. They are a tradition or common site here in Nicaragua.
I went to the beach for the CRCNA spiritual retreat. It was a great time to get away and relax for a couple of days. The theme of the retreat was The Spirit Leads; something I was thinking about in my personal devotions as well. Perhaps I'll have to write a seperate entry about it later. For the rest of Spring Break I'm spending time with my brother Wayne. He was scheduled to come in Tuesday night, but due to thunderstorms in Houston his flight was postponed. He should be coming in soon, maybe tomorrow.
1 comment:
ahhh...great memories!
(is jess pregnant? that is what I think i saw in the pic)...
enjoy your time with your bro!! ;)
Post a Comment