Sunday, September 23, 2007

Independence Day

Once again we celebrated Independence Day at the school on September 13. Every year it seems to be one of the biggest days of the year. This year was no exception. The day started out with presentations on the departments (like our provinces) and history of Nicaragua by the students in 4th-12th grade. Following this we had a program with dancing, singing, and poems. The day ended with a traditional Nicaraguan food.

Lily and Karly enjoying the moment prior to the Independence Day program.

Joshua, Peter, and Semok trying out their sombreros.

The fourth grade class in front of their mural. Their presentation won first prize in the 4th - 6th grade division. They were very excited to hear that they had won an ice cream party!

The teachers also do a dance for the program which is always a hit with the parents and students alike. Here are my roommates and I with our traditional dresses. Yes, I know the bouquet of flowers on my head seems a little ridiculous, but it seems to be the Nicaraguan way so I just went with it for a couple of hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the girls and I are coming some year for independance day. We can't wait to wear those big swirly dresses and flowers in our hair. seriously... we're for real! fran, syd and kenzie