Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Country of Contrasts

This morning I went to a fellowship for women who speak English in Nicaragua. They meet once a month to encourage one another and fellowship together. I don't normally go, but this time there were two women speaking who I highly respect. Both women have lived in Nicaragua for almost 30 years which means they experienced and lived through the earthquake, the war, and the hardships that occurred during these years. One of the women was talking about Nicaragua not only being country of lakes and volcanoes but a land of contrasts; which is so true. It got me thinking and here are some contrasts I came up with...

*In Nicaragua you see large malls similar to those in North America and in front of them will be small shacks where people are selling food.

*On the roads, you will see a new Toyota truck with one person in it alongside a dilapidated, worn-out, dented truck, filled to capacity with people in the back.

*Nicaragua is a country that exports meats and has an abundant amount of fruit and yet many people are starving.

*In Nicaragua some people have numerous pairs of shoes while others have none, both walk the same streets.

*In the same neighbourhood, you will find a large home with a swimming pool and directly beside it will be a small one room home with a dirt floor and made of wooden boards and a tin roof.

*The 2 seasons are a direct contrast of each other. The wet season is lush and green ,while the dry season is dusty and brown.

***Stay posted for more news coming up soon about our Independence Day Celebrations!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Sooo true! The same it true of Honduras. I'm finding out that there are more contrasts here than I expected though, although most of them are hidden / need to be sought out....
I hope the school year is going well so far! :)