In class we just started our unit on insects so of course without a doubt the following day we had a wave of creepy insects come in. It's great though because the students can right away identify body parts and appendages that we've been studying. Then on Friday there was a humongous tarantula in the courtyard. I couldn't resist so I scooped him up and he is making his home in our classroom for a little while. It is the biggest one I have seen in this area.
On Friday students took what they had learned about insects during the week and had to create their own insect. It was tricky for them to think of all the characteristics of an insect and apply them to their own, but they were very creative. You wouldn't want to encounter one of these in your back yard. Below are some pictures of their creations.




Although I've posted a picture of the Goliath beetle before, their size continues to amaze me. This one was dead but we took a closer look at it under a magnifying glass.

Here it is. Our tarantula. What a beauty!
No comments:
Post a Comment