Sunday, September 6, 2009

Grilled Pizza

Recently I've discovered the richly enhanced flavour of pizza when it is cooked on the BBQ. The Nicaraguan family I visit often has asked me several times to teach them how to make pizza. Cooking them on the fire is a better way for a Nicaraguan family to make pizza since many homes do not have an oven.
We actually made two types of pizza. The normal way by mixing up the pizza dough and letting it rise and by making flour tortillas and dressing them up with toppings to bake.
These were my two rather competetive 'students' helping to make the balls for tortiallas. Both of them wanted their hands in the dough so I was surprised we did get it all mixed together. Lots of laughs (and a few elbows) and the dough was good to go.
Yolanda is a master tortilla maker but it has always been corn tortillas. Corn tortillas are a typical food in Nicaragua, while flour tortillas are more traditional to Mexico.
This is the BBQ area where we cooked the pizzas. Cooking them over the fire gives the pizza an overall better flavour and it is actually much more simple than it sounds.
GOOD EATS!

3 comments:

WAKonings said...

Those pizza's look tasty! Maybe we'll have to try that some night!

Theresa said...

Aimee, I continue to be inspired by how involved you are directly with the lives of the local Nicaraguans. It is so beautiful!

Funny that pizza was a big hit for the family. In Honduras, I had groups of students over to teach them how to make pizza, and it was always such a novel experience!!! :-)

Unknown said...

Yes! I love it!