I guess you can call them the cinnamon rolls that just keep on giving. Almost every visitor who comes to the Bootsma home has been served cinnamon rolls and love them. Making cinnamon rolls was something we learned to do at about the time we were learning to walk. And we didn't stop making them until we left the house. Most people loved the cinnamon rolls but very few people chose to make them because it involves sour dough.
A couple months ago my roommate brought over some dough she had gotten from our neighbour. She asked me to care for it by stirring it every day while she was gone. The dough stirred up those childhood memories so I thought I'd using it to make cinnamon rolls and sure enough it was the same stuff. Once again the cinnamon rolls have gotten lots of compliments and have been a big hit. They often don't last more than a couple of hours after coming out of the oven.Last night I shared the Bootsma recipe for cinnamon rolls with a Nicaraguan family. All the ingredients are very accessible here, except the powdered sugar to make icing. The only problem we had was keeping the cinnamon rolls from burning because their was no thermometer on the stove to say how hot it was. And...once again not soon after coming out of the oven the cinnamon rolls were eaten and enjoyed.

Adding the brown sugar.

Learning to roll them up.
No comments:
Post a Comment