Friday, May 2, 2008

La Playa

In Nicaragua May 1 is Labour Day and so everybody has the day off. I went with the Pena's, a Nicaraguan family I have gotten to know well, to the beach. We went, as they would say, 'Nica' style with some Canadian influence. I agreed to drive and find a place to spend the day, they agreed to bring the food and drinks. The car was full by the time we had everyone (8 of us) and everything inside. We almost took the dog, but decided against it in the end. We arrived close to lunch time and so the meal was prepared right away. Where as I might have just packed a few sandwiches, the Nicaraguan style is to prepare a full meal. We had grilled beef, rice, salad, and tortillas; it was delicious. I brought the fixings for smores and forced the North American custom of smore making on them.
In the afternoon we spent our time in the water, racing hermit crabs, searching for shells, and discovering sea anemones. For one of them, Yolanda, it was her first time ever to the beach. How fun it was to watch her discover and enjoy the waves, shells, and beach experience! The following day she told me how very happy she was to have been able to go. Even Grandma put on some shorts to wade in the water. This reminded me of my Beppe, whom we always begged to come swimming and teased her about having a swimming suit hidden away somewhere. She never did swim with us though. Nicaraguans are very cautious in the water because almost everyone knows someone who has drowned. This is due partly to the strength of the waves and partly because many people don't know how to swim.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Ahh, thanks for this lovely post! :) You look sooo happy.