Sunday, April 27, 2008

Who has a Monopoly?

We just finished a unit in Social Studies called In the Market. We had some interesting discussions about money and spending money. This lent itself perfectly to playing the game Monopoly in class. I never realized how many versions of the game Monopoly there were. We had Star Wars, Las Vegas, Corvette, and Special Edition Monopoly games. I found out soon enough that it would be a waste for me to try and explain the rules to them. They seemed to know the game better than I did.
I found out that my students have an incredible love for money. I heard plenty of evil, little giggles coming from people who earned alot of money. Others bought up property early on in the game and ended up with little money in the end. All these details and more helped to reinforce some economic strategies we had talked about in class.
We are getting down to the last couple weeks of school. It is hard to believe that it has gone this fast. My students have already come to realize the closeness to the end of the year. On Friday they mentioned their fears about fifth grade. We have one more BIG event to look forward to. My students have been praying about it everyday since I mentioned it; mostly praying that their parents would let them go. It is an overnight field trip with the 5th and 6th grade classes. Kids in Nicaragua don't often travel away from their parents very much and so this is a big deal. We held a parent meeting to inform the parents about our minute to minute plan for the two days. Check out the posts after May 16 to see how it went.

No comments: