Monday, November 19, 2007

Talent Show

This past weekend we had our Talent Show at the school. This is an evening where students can audition to present a talent. We had everything from dance routines, to stand up comedy, to bands and solos. Each class is also judged for their efforts in cheering. The tenth grade class brought trumpets and trombones and so they were obviously the loudest. When I mentioned to a Nicaraguan that I thought the evening was very loud, she quickly disagreed. There are two settings on every Nicaraguan stereo. It is either off or on full blast.
Traditionally the teachers put on an act as well. This year we did "The not-so Late Show". This consisted of some dry humor and jokes, a band with odd instruments, stupid human tricks, and of course our host. Our top 10 list was:
You know you're in Nicaragua...
10 When machetes are as common as cell phones.
9 When a team of oxen pulls your new pick up truck out of a pothole.
8 Oranges are green.
7 When you have sweat stains on your shirt by 6:30... am
6 There is always room for one more on the bus.
5 When candlelight dinners are a necessity, not just for special occasions.
4 Roosters never know what time it is.
3 Every one's favorite cologne is 'Burning Trash'.
2 Potholes can double as swimming pools.
1 When you think music class means listening to pigs being slaughtered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Aimee,
I can hear your voice as I read these (just got caught up since before Christmas), and I miss you all! Thanks for sharing... :-D
much love!