Thursday, May 24, 2007

La Prensa

Today I took my class to La Prensa which is the name of the newspaper produced here in Managua. The grandfather of two of my students is the owner, which made it easy to arrange. The students were able to go into the library where all the back issues of La Prensa are being preserved. These papers have made it through the hands of numerous owners, three name changes, and the war. In the picture above students are looking at a newspaper from 1978, during the time of the war here in Nicaragua. At that time the paper was being sold for 75 centavos (100 centavos = 1 cordaba). Now the paper is sold for 5 cordabas (18 cordabas = 1 US dollar).
The paper is produced every morning. For one paper, 16 of the rolls that are shown behind my students are used. Amongst the rolls of paper is Chapito, the mascot for La Prensa. While on the tour we had a journalist and photographer following along with us. Some of the students were interviewed so we are hoping for some space in La Prensa soon. Capito is the name given to a very small pencil. He came along with us on the tour and my students absolutely adored him. Miguel is pictured here with Capito, but in fact he was by his side the whole time. They just loved giving this soft, furry pencil big bear hugs. As one student said, "I have a new best friend now." Thanks Capito!




2 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm glad you've joined the blogger world, Aimee! :) I look forward to see what stories and reflections you post.
Oh, and I'm honoured to be a link too!

Huge hug.

Lorraine Woodward said...

Hi from CRWM! I would love to link to your blog from our teaching opportunities web page--would that be okay? let me know.

thanks,
lorraine